Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Intermissions, Part 1



The first movie I remember was Bambi. In feeted jammies we waited in line for the Drive-In. Winged Fords and Chevys slung through the gate and parked, hooked up and let out kids to a playground in front of the screen.

There was almost a sense of community where you got the intimacy of your own car, food, drink and a movie or three. A slight party atmosphere prevailed and the usual inflated snack shack prices.

Warm summer nights in California. We kids did not have an inkling of the new avenues for sex that the drive-in brought. We were just little examples of the potential, and often the actuality, running around banging into cars which had their own internal bangings and laughing.

Years later It was just nice to hit a double feature in your car. Alone. Sometimes, as a young male I could actually see a movie that featured some sense of sex, because, well my dad's idea of sex education was "well son, have you ever touched yourself?"

"Sure dad," I said at age 12, "I combed my hair yesterday."

"Well I am glad we had this talk."

It wasn't till a year or so later that I figured out what he may have been talking about.
___________
next ...drive-in church...sheesh

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

huh, i can relate to your sex ed with your dad.

Me, my mom gave a book to read and 'maybe' talk about it. I get the book and parts that were 'racey' in my moms eyes were blacked out with magic marker.

Considering she gave it to me a couple years too late because it just talk about 'the time of the month' in which i could of re-educated my mom.

However, being the youngest of 5 sisters i had an array of interpretations on sex. One of them even had magazines on postions and stuff, it was actually very well tastefully done. Which of course benefited a few years later.

tabitha jane said...

i think one of the first movie i remember is bambi too . . . my mom says my first film in the theatre was snow white, but i don't really remember . . . i do remember watching the flight of the navigator when i was very young though . . . and star wars!


on to sex ed. my family was so hush hush about it all that they NEVER gave me "the talk." i figured it out from school, books, magazines and tv. i didn't even tell my mom when my monthly friend came . . . not for an entire year did she even figure it out.

and she waited until the MONTH before i got married to tell me she would be willing to answer any questions i might have about it . . . a bit too late you think? by then, i had graduated from college. who needs sex ed in their post-college years anymore?

Greg said...

masturbating since 13? I have you beat.

Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Hi MSL! Thanks

Meems: Given all you have been throughin your 19 years, I would have to say you are doing very very well. I admire you and have great hopes for your future marriage, mostly because you look at things with eyes wide open.

ssas said...

you know, Greg, you don't have to brag...

sex ed. hah! two days before my wedding my mom told me to get on the pill "or you'll get pregnant right away."

I'd already been on the pill for eight years.

Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Sex wins the prize on this one! Woohoo!

Obi-Mac BakDon said...

22 and 30

Anonymous said...

my parents NEVER talked to me about sex.......i learned everything first hand or from friends, a wee bit from school....mostly my mother would run away when the DIRTY WORD "SEX" was even mentioned.

fabulous post btw.

Bar L. said...

I remember drive-in's in CA as a kid too. They still had them when I was a teen but I rather not remember those times...

My son asked me when he was five about sex and I told him the whole thing in a way a five year old can understand.