Monday, June 27, 2005

PERCEPTIONS Part One


Oil on Canvas. Christopher C. MacDonald
______________________________

My new friend Sex (no that is not a joke, it is her moniker and a damned fine one) recently wrote on perception.

We have discussed this some and I've had a number of small events come together at once (which happens if you pay attention).

SO STRAP ON YOUR SAFETY BELTS LADIES AND GENTLEMAN BECAUSE WE ARE GOING FOR A RIDE!

It came together when my neighbor came to ask me to look at the bottom of an old brass...er thingy. She was washing it off and thought that on the underneath side there was a "painting" and would I have a look.

My neighbors often come and ask me questions. They perceive me to be an open and non-judgmental and generally kind person who cares. I perceive myself that way to. I care. I listen..I'm honest.

So we all agree on that.

But she and I did not agree on the brass thingy and the painting. I saw only remnants of some old paint and some wear and tear. I did not see a "picture".

She did.

But maybe not now.

But she did before.

She looked sheepish afterward, like she had done something wrong or been foolish.

I assured her this was not true.

So I told her a story about how I once was once going to get my mail and had not put my glasses on. As I walked I saw a couple ahead of meet about 30 feet ahead in an embrace. I felt embarrassed but I needed by mail so I kept walking.

As I got closer my nearsighted vision clarified and I saw that the couple was, in fact, a dumpster piled with boxes.

Perception. Vision. Glasses (or better yet, lenses).

____________________

Well my neighbor laughed very hard at that story. In fact, she doubled over.

I think I made her day.

In my view there are three factors. There is the brass thingy as it is. There is my perception of it, and hers.

There is the object and we are subjects.

Simple.

__________________________

But we humans are a bundle of language, perception ideas, nature and ideas (and ideals).

We "frame" things and our "frames" often seek to try and rule simple existence.

And we are rarely aware of how much our own existence colors everything.

If you doubt this take any major issue of your life (sex, love, death, children, meaning, spirituality) and look at it through your own glasses at age 10, 20, 30, 40.

That should do it.

Do it twice and call me in the morning.

Then extrapolate from there for the years that may or may not come for you.

__________________________


A few weeks back my perception of my relationship with my woman was that we were essentially over. She was checked out (read below).

My perception of the situation was mistaken.

And I am a very smart guy and sensitive too. But sometimes you are just flat out mistaken.

Perceptions.

Was I wrong to perceive that she was "checked out"?

No.

Was I correct in perceiving that we were "done"?

No.

Not even close.

_______________________

In the meantime I contacted (in very unSaintly manner) an ex-flame.

A beautiful woman, intoxicating in her own way.

Why?

Well it is fairly obvious, but not to me at the time so very much.

I realize now it was a kind of emergency flare for what I perceived (note that) as a dying relationship. Of course that was not at all fair to this woman, or my woman, and she (the other) has exacted my due penance not a few times since then (which becomes ironic in a bit).

I did not blame her.

Of course, my own perception was that my woman perceived her as nothing but a threat. And I cannot say I disagreed with that. But I also perceivd a lot more than that. And I'll leave it at that (which will piss both of them off given their perceptions of me)

Which only proves my point...or, er...perceptions.

__________________

I've been banging this idea around with both Sex and Greg. Objective real Truth but also subjectivity. They are both wicked smart and have their own views (perceptions).

I do not always agree, but I listen and like how they view things. I like their "glasses"...their lenses.

Imagine a world without glasses.

Most of us wear then in some capacity or another. Some of us are far-sighted, some near-sighted. But we all get more clarity with the glasses...the lenses.

Imagine your world without any glasses.

(Oh...and most of us, sooner or later, need bi-focals.)

________________________






Posted by Hello

2 comments:

ssas said...

I'm near-sighted (without my contacts) and (sometimes)terribly selfish.
Co-eenki-dink?
I think not.

martha said...

well, when it comes to bi-ficols there is that little line that seperates the lens that gets in the way, the focus is hooey.

Now they- have bifocals with no lines but the sides of the lens are blurred. hooey focus again.

You gotta keep the eye moving and looking for the focus with bi-focals.

I am beginning to think that contact lenses and a pair of studious reading glasses makes the focusing a lot easier. No distracting lines. You can get lost in the lines.
I am all for magnified clarity even if i need to use layered lenses.