Friday, July 15, 2005

Freewill, Determinism & Attraction Part Five



So I made a new choice out of Freewill, or did I?

Perhaps I traded one set of imprintation for a deeper, or at least, another one?

Well, my gut tells me that is what happened, but it did not hold.

But note the possibility of at least two if not many more, sets of imprints on the brain that determine what they find attractive.

I mean I cannot fathom being the least bit attracted to Paris Hilton, though obviously many men are. That is really more about physical and psychological imprinting than anything else.

I don't wanna get too technical because I like the free-flow of a more informal discourse, but do check out some brief articles on imprintation and attraction from Wikipedia.

Some brief but good stuff there.

In one article there is the juxtaposition between Freud and Westermarck. I side with Westermarck even though I have studied Freud extensively.

Freud would say "Simon, your own mother was dark haired and has high cheek bones..what do you make of that?"

Westermarck would ask, "Simon, when was the first moment you felt attraction for a girl?"

Personally on this issue, I think Freud was full of shit because I remember that first girl, and maybe in some ways I have been chasing her ever since.

Determined? Yes. Deterministic? Not sure, but there is a high degree of influence at the very least.

But then I see life as more paradoxical than most. I think most people view life in a very linear way, which is not bad, but perhaps limiting.

_____________________

Anyway, I defied the physical imprintation, but perhaps not the psychological/emotional one.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: