Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Haunt of Jackals Part 6



Now I am obviously somewhat trapped in my own argument for I am also in the haunt of jackals and subject to it's influence.

I want to proceed to take openly about the spirituality and depth of the Word. But you can easily see the problem can't you?

As soon as I start using the language that has been so misused, misapplied, ripped from its context or just plain ruined by the Religionists I am undone. I'll get the same reception I myself reserve for tele-evangelists (where my eyes glaze over and then roll into the back of my head).

Yet there must be a fresh approach for I think many of us sense that there is truth to be had, and when a "Word" or words come to us, they resonate and have a power and weightiness that we recognize.

So if we hears the words of Martin Luther King and put them next to a series of advertisements, most of us recognize two different forms. And interpersonally, we have all had the experience of being trapped in small talk at a party one hour, then getting into a fascinating discussion the next.

One claim is that the Word that Jesus brought was special, and somehow (I am not sure how this works) he was also the physical embodiment of The Word.

But we never really get to see this Jesus because Religion has so often co-opted this Word. Those in Christendom are so concerned with coercive conversion that safe places for open communication and exploration are rarely found in the haunt.

Which is why atheists, agnostics and freethinkers are so vital to the discussion.

Yes, you heard me correctly.

Vital because they bring a much needed critique of religion that clears away a number of huge obstacles to open discussion and exploration. The irony, of course, is that the biblical records themselves, which claim to be "Word" also echo this distrust of religion. The prophets in the Old Testament have every bit as much distrust for religion and they are not shy about sharing it. And in Jesus day, his most scathing remarks and actions all took place against the hyper-religious. Ordinary folk loved Jesus and enjoyed his company and words.

Even Paul takes on the religious in one town because they wanted to tack on rules and regulations where only faith was desired. It's a shockingly fun story because these relgious folk were requiring circumcision as a part of conversion. Paul, with his usual directness says "why stop with the foreskin?" and says he hopes they castrate themselves instead.

I think there is a clue there, which is it's a good thing to distrust religion, even God does.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I see you!!

Well done. That cup of cold water is refreshing indeed!!!