Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Sex & Love 13: Agape



Writer Anne Lamott, who goes to the church I would attend if I went, hardly ever, but she writes a lot about Grace and also Love.

She is my favorite author, but I still don't often go to church.

She has a vibrant spirit in Church, acting like an unofficial pastor of sorts (though she would hate that designation). The official pastor is a brilliant woman of expansive vision. The congregation is delightfully mixed. Old and new, black and white and every beautiful color inbetween.

We'll figure out later why I do not go. It isn't them, I assure you. It's me.

In Bird by Bird, Lamott writes about seeing her first baseball game.

We are about the same sage so I had the same picture in my head and rolled it over my tongue when she wrote the same thing I had tasted at 14.

Willie Mays like Jesus out in centerfield.

Bingo.

What's my point (and why is there not enough sex in this series suddenly?)

Grace.

Grace.

And the distance between love, grace and sex is very small.

Oh ye of little faith.

_______________________

Agape love is the last of our loves we want to examione, then we wanna see how they swish and intertwine with each other, join, dance and swirl around your world.

Okay?

Gift love. Agape.

Like dropping Jesus or Willie Mays or Ghandi down in our miserable mess.

Or Bono.

Sometimes people God just loves us. God has God's own reasons for doing this, but we cannot say God is disinterested, only that God does not act as we would in a timely fashion.

That's fair.

Agape Love: It loves the unloveable. It creates value and truth in the unloveable; it pours itself into the abyss which is human lostness. It is the unshakebale force the binds the universe together in all its madness and waits for a better day.

A day of Pure Love.

___________

Oh and yes, if you are a man and you want to ...er foretsall....thinking about Willie Mays will help...for awhile. Might buy you three minutes.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: