Friday, October 21, 2005

Sex & Love Part 10: Eros



Eros is another matter. It is related in a strong way with Venus. No doubt.

But it is time for me to name the five Greek words for love to help build a roadmap vastly superior to the Oakland Freeway system.

Venus: Sexual love
Eros: Romantic love
Phileo: Freindship love
Storge: Family love
Agape: Spiritual love

_____________________

I note Jennifer Connelly above because as any woman who has ever loved me with any of the beforementioend loves, they know I have a "thing" for her.

It's not hard to see why (insert shudder).

I have a certain penchant for dark-haired beauties, and it would not surprise you that my girlfriend is just such.

She knocks me out.

But that is just Venus and we already agreed that is short-lived at best.

So what of the other loves?

What else do we share? Are we dust under the tracks or can we find a way to blaze over the bridge in the free air with the top down and feel grateful?

_____________________


I watched Jennifer Connelly on The Actor's Studio last night. It's a long and personal interview and I have to say I did not find her very interesting at all.

I respect her and what she has done, and the chances she has taken. I think she is luminous in outward beauty, but then so does half the planet.

I found her, frankly boring. My girl is ten times more interesting and fun. I relish her. I cherish her.

If Jennifer invited ne to the top of the SF Hilton, with caviar, Dom Perignon, oysters and her in a slinky red dress?

Tempted? Yes. Flattered? Ultimately. But Nope.

"Tell me about your kids" would come out of my mouth.

I'd like her shy smile back. But that would be that.

________________

Why?

It's the other loves...which is why we are here. and they do oversect and intersect and swirl around each other in a dance like a freeway system that we have little idea how to navigate.

Not any of us.

_______________

Eros is the love of desire. Pure desire. It is utterly selfish even though it pretends not to be. It HUNGERS.

Unlike Venus it's hunger is not for the body primarily (note that). That is secondary, a spoil.

No, it hungers for BEING.

By it's very nature Eros-love recognizes value in others and seeks to possess them as objects of perceived value. It is, in the words of Nygren and DeRougemont, "acquisitive".

Surely you can seen this in the erotic love of ever movie or book or series you have ever seen or read.

Do the relational math.

________________________

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

freethoughtguy said...

Remember, eros spelled backwards is ... s o r e !

Obi-Mac BakDon said...

LOL

Thanks Free